Sunday, January 9, 2022

Cooking cranberries.

Before I moved, my one (Romanian) colleague gave me a few presents for Christmas, including some craft beer, some (Hungarian) sausage that's his favorite, some (German) gingerbread cookies, and a bag of cranberries. So, after I moved, I ended up googling how to cook cranberries, and cooking them. Back when I was a child, a few Christmases we had strung popcorn and cranberries on needle and thread to decorate our family Christmas tree with, but these cranberries were a lot more hard-skinned than I remembered them, it was almost like they were a hard plastic, with the hard plastic exterior brittly shifting around something in the middle when you pressed it, though the insides were a lot firmer than I remembered them, too. And, I didn't realize it, but cranberries pop when you boil them, or at least some of them do. Anyhow, cooking cranberries turned out to be super easy, I just mixed in some cloves and cardamom and cinnamon, and I eventually spooned in a lot of sugar to taste, and it ended up being a really tasty and really easy cranberry sauce, though the cranberries turned out to be super sour, I put a heck of a lot more sugar in there than I anticipated, and I don't even like my cranberry sauce all that sweet.

No comments: