Monday, January 10, 2022

Apartment coincidence (1 of 3): Prelude.

So, my new apartment is a little back cottage, and the front house has one tenant on the bottom floor, and a couple of college kids that live upstairs, my landlord had said. Like the day after I moved in, then, I sighted this one maybe (late 20s) (awkward-looking) (white) woman with headphones on doing something around the firepit in the yard outside my kitchen window, and I was like, "Oh, that must be one of the neighbors." And, like a day or two after that, I was studying some (Egyptian) outside in the late afternoon at the little table on the little patio outside my front door, and it was getting dark out, and that same person walks by to go in the backdoor, and so I introduce myself, ask about how I can be considerate with space usage, etc., and then since their name was a bit odd, I ask them about it, and it turns out that it's short for some very traditional (German) name, and then when I ask about that, they start saying how they're German heritage and actually speak German from being raised by their grandmother, and then I ask a bit more, since "I didn't know that could be used as a woman's name." And, at that point, they're like, "I'm not a woman." And all of a sudden I'm like, Oh fuck, I messed up with the trans, which there's a lot of in the college town that I live in, you can see it everywhere, and which kind of makes me nervous.

No comments: