Tuesday, December 7, 2021

Resthome CPR training.

Before I left the resthome, I had to undergo my every-two-years CPR refresher.

There was like twenty of us from all different divisions of the resthome, and like 85% of them were women and most of everyone was (foreign born), so when I looked around the room right before I sat down, I was like, "Of course I love this line of work." 

One of the first steps in CPR is to first tap the person to check if they're actually awake and okay, so when people were going up to the front of the room to tap the dummy and be like, "Are you okay, are you okay," a few times someone would put on a voice and be like, "Yes I am" or "No I am not," and then everyone would burst out laughing.

The instructor also cued up the Bee Gees' "Staying Alive" on her phone when people were practicing on the dummy since it has a beats-per-minute that roughly matches how often you should do compressions, only, the first time that she cued it up, she didn't say what was happening, and this whole row of (older) (filipinas) started doing disco moves with their arms as they were just sitting in their seats around the table.

The instructor also had this really good tip; she said that if you had to move around or hold up breasts or large rolls of fat in order to place defibrillator pads, it's good to remember that you can always use your forearm instead of your hands and fingers, since that depersonalizes the interaction (which might be more a matter of consideration for onlookers than the CPR person themself, since presumably they'd be unconscious at that point, though I'm assuming this applies to other non-CPR interactions as well).

No comments: