Thursday, November 18, 2021

One of the handful of worst subway rides I'd ever had in the city...

...which I had a few Friday nights ago:

1) An out-of-it (young) (trans?) (person-of-color?) strolls down the car, asks for a light, and smokes a cigarette while standing and staring into the next car, then later starts talking to themself and softly moaning and laying down on the seat and splaying their legs out, and then getting up and jumping around on the bars, at one point like it's a stripper pole.

2) Later, for the second half of the ride, a (crazed) (maskless) (middle aged-ish) (black) guy comes down the car stopping a foot-and-a-half from everyone's faces and asking them for money, then he gets to the front of the car and he can't go any further since it's the conductor's car, so he asks me if it's okay if he sits across from me, so I mumble something affirmatively, and there he sits for the rest of the ride, occasionally twitching really hard and shouting something random out to people down the car, as I hold my pepper spray kind of behind my backpack on my lap just out of his sightline.

3) After I get off of the train and get on my bike to go home, I round the corner by a bar and there's a lot of cars idling outside so I ride on the sidewalk, and suddenly I realize that the (young) (white) guy crossing the street towards my direction is not a customer leaving the place, but rather this seriously crazy young guy who probably has mental disabilities and substance abuse problems and who's been around the neighborhood but I haven't seen him in a good three years, and out of nowhere he starts running towards me on my bike, so I start peddling really fast and I jet past him as he's like two-and-a-half or three feet from getting me, and I keep going, and then in twenty feet I glance back and he had stopped right then and there when it was clear he couldn't lurch at me successfully, and he was just kind of standing there.

No comments: