Wednesday, November 17, 2021

A conversation with a few folks downtown.

Like a few weeks ago at the main library downtown when I had gone in to use some microfilm for some research that I'm doing, I ended up talking with some of the librarians in there for a while, and the one said that people are losing it, and that they don't see it in more homeless people coming into the library every day, although there was a lady screaming the other day and guards had to go and take her out, and she said she had a gun, but more on public transportation, like how the other week there was this guy just on the train throwing popcorn everywhere, and a year ago someone threw himself on the tracks just when everyone was leaving work, and the one said that she works nights at a different job, and she has for years, and that now you can see people sleeping out more in places that you never saw them before.

And, afterwards, I went to go get a frigid patio beer at the one bar I like that's nearby there, and I bumped into someone from my neighborhood who's a building engineer and who works nearby and who is super nice when I went inside to order, and I talked to him a bit, and he said that his coworker stopped taking the subway in a month ago after there was a gunfire incident early morning in one station, and that he himself drives his wife everywhere now, even though she grew up in the Bronx when it wasn't that good and she isn't dumb about anything, but still, you never know.

No comments: