Thursday, February 11, 2021

Resthome secrets, and a gift.

At the resthome, this one resident who's a (retired psychoanalyst) moved in a few months ago, and though we talked a little bit on her move-in day, she's been largely introverted since then, and so I've never really talked to her, until she got very chatty one evening a few weeks ago.

She said that for years now she has been interested in the major drives and lately she's been especially interested in aggression, since it's always with us and there's the question of what exactly it is, since we can't eliminate it but can only hope to control it, and she still hopes to finish her third book, on why people kill.

And, she said that Covid completely derailed her project, since she had been hoping to interview people in prison, but now you can't do that, and who knows when you'll be able to do that again.

Later that night, my one (Nepalese-born) (Tibetan) coworker asked me if I wanted to take some chicken soup of hers home that had homemade noodles in it, since she had brought it in for dinner but the staff meals that day had all been good and so she ate that at work instead, and also because she has more than enough soup at home, so there's no sense to take it home again or leave it at work for another time.

I said yes of course, and she asked me if I had any soy sauce, since I should use soy sauce instead of salt if I wanted to add some salt to the soup.

No comments: