Thursday, December 10, 2020

Ham water coffee.

Last month, I made up a big pot of pea soup, and I separately boiled up the ham bone and the onion and celery scraps, to make a broth that I then strained and added back in to the pea soup.

Interestingly, as the pea soup settled, it was not only more watery on top, but after I threw it in the refrigerator, that top watery layer also got semi-gelatinous, I must have cooked the ham bone down so much!

Like the next day, I then boiled up water in the same broth pot, to make my morning cup of instant coffee. (I've been using instant because I ran out of regular and I'm seriously spacing out trips to the grocery store because of the pandemic, I'm going like every four or five weeks, seriously). And, as I boiled it, the water gave off this ham odor, though the coffee tasted just normal, when I whipped it up and finally sipped it.

I was a bit disappointed, I almost wanted to find out what ham-flavored coffee tastes like. You can put a slice of lemon into instant coffee to make it taste more like normal coffee, so who knows, maybe the ham water would make it taste like a latte or something.

No comments: