Friday, September 25, 2020

Conversaton with a (Nigerian) coworker.

Last month at work, I stayed after my shift at the resthome in order to send off some emails on their desktop in the library that they have there.

Afterwards when I had finished and was heading out through the lobby to head out and go home, I bumped into my one (bulky) (Nigerian) coworker who works nightshift, who has hanging out there in the lobby and talking with the receptionist in some downtime between her duties.

"Hey [her first name]," I was like, "What's new?".

"New York, New Jersey, New Orleans, that's what's new," she was like.

We then chit-chatted some, and it turns out that she can't swim, and that back in Nigeria her parents were "traders," and they traded dried goods like beans and rice to the north of Lagos. 

"No vegetables," she was like, "They did not have refrigerated trucks like they have here."

No comments: