Sunday, September 20, 2020

Coworker aspirations.

The other week, I was talking with my one (cool) (Muslim) (Ethiopian) coworker at the resthome, and somehow we got on the subject of visas and immigration.

"Are you a citizen, or do you have a green card?", I was like.

"Green card," she was like.

She then said that she's not sure if she'll become a citizen, because she wants to maybe go back to Ethiopian= one day.

"You can't be an American citizen and an Ethiopian citizen at the same time?", I was like.

"No," she was like.

She then said that she wants to go back one day and open up her own pharmacy and stay there for the rest of her life.

I responded normally to that aspiration, but then I was like, "You know, when you do that, everyone will talk about you. 'Look at [her first name], such a nice woman, but she went to America, and she came back and now she sells drugs.'"

At that, she laughed and gave me a look.

No comments: