Wednesday, September 2, 2020

A story of Eid al-Adha.

The other month, I was asking my one (cool) (Muslim) (Ethiopian) coworker about celebrating Eid al-Adha, since it was that day and she was at work and I had wished her a happy Eid.

She said that her auntie was texting her why she was at work, she should be with her, but she said that she doesn't care, she wants to work, she misses her mother so much she would rather work.

"Because you don't want to think that it's a holiday, because a holiday makes you miss your mother so much?", I was like.

"Yes," she was like.

She then showed me some pictures that her aunt was texting her, from her apartment like half a mile south of us.

"There's the table, but you can't see the food," she was like.

(I had been asking her about what dishes they make up, and she had been telling me about some chicken dish with hot red peppers.)

Then, she swiped to the next picture, and she showed me her aunt and her husband and another uncle of hers and their four little kids.

"See, special Ethiopian coffee tradition," she was like, and she pointed out this small ornate multi-stepped stand with all this special coffee apparatus stuff all over it.

"And traditional Ethiopian clothes," she was like, pointing to her auntie with her hair done up and in this wrap thing.

"Is that traditional clothes?", I was like, pointing to her uncle and like this matching fabric pants and vest suit thing he was wearing.

"No," she was like, "Only her."

"Why only her?", I was like.

And, she shrugged.

"She wants to wear them," she was like.

She also said she was going to stop by their apartment after work to get some food, along with her husband once he got out of work, too.

No comments: