Wednesday, July 22, 2020

Conversational Hausa.

The other month I was talking with the one (broad-built) (Ghanaian) kitchen manager about learning new languages, and he told me that he was wanting to learn Spanish.

I then asked him what languages he knew, and he said English and some French, and then when I asked him about African languages, he said Twi, Ga, and Hausa.

I hadn't heard of Ga before, but he assured me that it was indeed a language.

"And isn't Hausa more like northern Nigeria?", I was like.

"Yes," he was like, "But it's also in the north of Ghana."

Like the next time I saw him, I asked him some more about Hausa, and I mentioned that one of our (Nigerian) coworkers had learned some since he had studied in the north of Nigeria.

"So why did you learn Hausa?", I was like.

"I was on a soccer team in Accra with some guys who speak Hausa," he was like.

No comments: