Wednesday, January 29, 2020

Subway intervention: Loud cellphone talker.

The other week on the subway going into work, this one (shorter) (nerdy) (white) guy got up and moved toward the end of the car where I was along with this (younger) (black) girl and this (older) (fatter) (black) woman with a purple knit cap on and this (older) (thinner) (white) woman with a purple jacket on, and he just uses his bluetooth to make some really loud business call, talking all the while right in our direction.

And, I noticed the (older) (fatter) (black) lady across from me was eyeing him too, then our eyes met, and she was like, "He is so loud."

"People have been doing that so much lately," I was like.

"Yeah," she was like, "They hold their phones out or whatever and they talk, and they are just so loud."

"Maybe I should ask him to quiet down," I was like, kind of to her, but also to the (older) (white) lady near us, who was listening in to our conversation and nodding along in agreement with it.

So, after a beat I got up and stood and leaned over towards the guy's line of vision and called out to him where he was standing a little down the car, "Excuse me, could you please be more quiet, you're bothering us down here," at which point the (shorter) (nerdy) (white) guy suddenly looked ashamed and nodded and turned around to talk into the wall as the volume of his voice went down suddenly and a lot.

"Thank you," the (older) (black) lady was like.

"No problem," I was like, and I explained that I didn't usually like to do stuff like that because people could go crazy on you, but since he looked normal and was talking business, it seemed okay.

No comments: