Thursday, August 1, 2019

Misheard "Kids Nowadays" comment.

The other week I was talking with my one client with disabilities about her support of her (lesbian) sister, and she was saying that she had been going to her (lesbian) sister's lesbian feminist concerts for well over twenty years now, and I was saying how cool it was that she showed support like that from way back when, and I was also saying that that's perhaps why this one smaller choir engagement of her sister's recently that had been so well-received by a young audience was so well-received, because kids now see the strength and persistence of this group of strong older (lesbians) and want to show the love now, because things are different and they weren't there then to help but wish they could be and had been.

"Totally," she was like, and then she started saying that they still had no idea what it was like, what with the difficulties and the challenges and all, etc.

"They don't know who Gloria Steinem is," she was like, and then she started talking about different feminist challenges for a while, etc.

Then, she was like, "And they weren't there when Ms. came out," and though she kept talking, I was a bit dumbstruck, because I was still thinking "choir" and not "Gloria Steinem," and so when she said "Ms.", I had though "Miz," as in "Les Miz."

I told her that, and we laughed a lot, and then we started making jokes about how she's this secret Les Miz addict, where she's been hiding all the cast albums from me all this time.

"They have no idea how long we had to wait in line for those tickets!", she was like.

LOL.

No comments: