Saturday, June 15, 2019

Regret of my one (Tibetan) coworker: Coming here.

My one (Tibetan) coworker told me that she regrets coming to the U.S. everyday.

She got here like over a year ago, and her husband just joined her.

She works at the resthome and also at a supermarket, and her husband is just finding his footing while her daughter is going back to school for an economics degree that will be recognized in the U.S.

"We came here for her," she was like, "But it is very hard."

She was a school teacher back in India and her husband had a good radio job and they had a nice house that they've held on to and are renting out, but here they work so much at low-level jobs and they rent and they probably won't ever own.

We got interrupted at that point in the conversation, but we'll have to talk again.

I think she's right, that it's worth it for her daughter to get a degree here, but otherwise they should head back to India, if they can get their jobs or equivalent jobs back.

Why wouldn't you be better treated there, if you're a professional like they've been, and especially at their age?

I've been surprised, too, by how many people I know who've told me to leave the country, since my career fate would be better abroad.  And these are well-educated people too, who I know from undergrad or academics from developing places like Chile and Brazil.  They say that abroad both me and my credentials would be appreciated.

Maybe if I was younger, but I'm too old now and I don't feel like moving, and I told them that.

One even told me then that to keep it in mind, if the U.S. becomes more destabilized over the years.

"At some point it becomes too late, when everyone starts wanting to go," she was like.

. . .

! ! !

No comments: