Thursday, June 13, 2019

My one (Muslim) (Ethiopian) coworker (4 of 5): Ramadan exchange.

The other week during Ramadan, my one (Muslim) (Ethiopian) coworker and I were talking, and she was surprised that I knew the greeting "Ramadan Mubarak!".

I then explained to her that I have a couple of friends who are half (Sudanese) and grew up in Sudan, and she asked if they were Muslim, and when I said they were, she was very pleased, probably because I had Muslims for friends, I'm guessing.

She then said that her city that she comes from is in a region near Sudan, and that "People from Sudan are very honest, I like," she was like.

She then asked if my friends were fasting, and I said probably not, that they were very secular, and the one had said it's a cultural thing like Christians who put up a Christmas tree and maybe go to church on Christmas and Easter.

"They should fast," she was like.

"I can tell them that, if you want," I was like.

"Okay," she was like.

So, I pulled out my smartphone and sent a "Happy Ramadan!" greeting to my one (half British) (half Sudanese) friend (the brother of the sister pair), saying that my one (Muslim) (Ethiopian) coworker says that he should fast.

When I finally got an email back a few days later, he wished me a happy Ramadan too, and he said that she was right, there's no excuse.

So, the next time that I saw her, I told her that, and she laughed, probably at his brashness.

"What should I write back, that he should fast?", I was like.

"No, just say 'thank you,'" she was like.

So, I wrote him that back and told him that she had told me just to say 'thank you,' and he observed that my coworker is very cool.

She is!

She gets what's going on, but chooses to be nice.

No comments: