Tuesday, May 7, 2019

Rest home stories (2 of 3): A treat and its aftermath.

At the resthome the other week, it was a big meeting with refreshments afterwards, so I grabbed a few rugelach to take to residents who hadn't come down, like for this one guy who was in his apartment playing cards with his daughter who was visiting, and for the one resident who wants to die.

Later that night when I was back visiting the one resident who wants to die, she said it was good, and it turns out that she ate the whole thing.

After that, I was assisting her and she slipped and I had to hold her up and guide her into her wheelchair so that she didn't fall onto the floor, and after she was safe, she turned to me and looked stricken and was like, "I am so sorry."

"You're sorry?!", I was like, "I'm sorry!!".

I then said that I had given her that desert, and I made my own job harder by making her heavier and making more work for me.

"No good deed goes unpunished," I was like, and I winked at her.

She got a kick out of that; sometimes her humor is dark.

No comments: