Monday, May 6, 2019

Rest home stories (1 of 3): Night shift.

The other week I worked a double from afternoon through the night, to cover for a coworker who's out on maternity leave through this summer.

When I left in the morning, I saw the same (Tibetan) coworkers who I'd seen when I got on shift 16 hours earlier, and I was all punchy and was like, "Good night," and then I laughed since I realized that to them this was the next day.

As I waited for the elevated train to go home, too, not only was the horizon brightening, but like a minute or two before the train came, the lights on the platform went out.

The night shift was super chill and I had a lot of time to read, and I hung out with my one (older) (Tibetan) coworker too.

She showed me some smartphone videos of her four year-old granddaughter in California's preschool birthday party and of her on a small merry-go-round, and she told me about her townhome she has in the far north of the city; her daughter and son-in-law live with her, and the neighborhood is getting better since there's fewer black people.

No comments: