Friday, May 17, 2019

Horrible reaction to allergy medication.

The other week midway through a shift at work where I came in tired for it, I started getting hot and woozy a bit, and I felt like I needed to go sit down.

So, I did that, but eventually it got so bad that I had to go talk to my supervisor, and I ended up going home for the day.

Even then it was super bad, since while I was waiting to change trains at one stop so I could take a bus home and arrive closer to my house and not have to walk so far, I felt like I almost couldn't stand up, and since I looked around and couldn't find any bench on the subway platform to sit on, I ended up just leaning against a wall and sucking it up, and even then I briefly thought about maybe just sitting down on the ground there on the platform, I was so tired.

At home, too, while I was lying down, I felt like I had chills, even though I was all wrapped up under the covers.

Overall I was on my second day of a super heavy duty allergy medication so my nose wouldn't run and I could work, and that's a big reason I was tired at work.

But, my one (male) (Tibetan) coworker said that those medications are no good sometimes, they can be too strong, so that night when I was a bit better, I went and I looked up the side effects from it.

As it turns out, you're not supposed to drink any fruit juice with that medication because it interferes with its uptake, and known adverse reactions include feeling hot, chills, and extreme fatigue.

That day at work I had gotten some water from the one water cooler where the kitchen usually cuts up fruit or cucumber slices into it, and it had pineapple chunks with some syrup from the can.

My theory is that I had that and that syrup started interfering with my medication uptake, and then when my medication started kicking back in again, it triggered the adverse reaction.

It said online to never use that medication again if you ever have an adverse reaction, so I won't anymore, and I'm now using one of those nose spray things.

This allergy season has been really bad for me.

I'm just glad, though, that I didn't have the flu, since it would have been horrible to bring something contagious in with me to work and be around all the old and infirm people.

No comments: