Friday, March 1, 2019

Cream cheese taquitos.

With my one client with disabilities, we tried a cooking experiment where I made her some homemade quesadillas, which she really really liked, especially how I burned them a little bit and made the cheese crunchy on the edges where it had oozed out and the oil or the liquid shit in the cheese or whatever had sizzled out on the frying pan and just evaporated away.

After that, we were talking about recipes for leftover tortillas, so I googled "leftover tortillas quick recipes" and found a good recipe for cream cheese and chicken taquitos, as well as just making simple quick tortilla chips.

So, we talked some and decided to adapt the recipe a bit for another night, and try a range of taquitos: one just cream cheese, another cream cheese with chopped up chicken lunchmeat, a third cream cheese with chopped up ham, a fourth with cheddar slivers, and one last one with bacon bits that I fried up in the tortilla warming pan last of all, so that the other taquitos wouldn't have a bacon grease flavor on them.

I also did one "foldover" baked quesadilla of cream cheese, and one tortilla I brushed with olive oil to see how good homemade tortilla chips were.

The chicken and cream cheese taquito was a hit, and so was the homemade tortilla chip - I can't believe how good that is, my client was like! - and we planned out trying next time a cheddar cheese taquito and a cheddar cheese and ham taquito, as two other possible good combinations.

Honestly, what a fun job.  I get to cook homemade food for a client, and even learn how to warm tortillas and roll taquitos on the job.

You just can't beat that!

No comments: