Friday, February 1, 2019

Reflections on my campaign.


What I’ve realized more and more is how money sorts people out into viable candidates or not.

I know everybody knows that already happens, but it's even more than I thought it'd be, and as a candidate you have to come face-to-face with the details and the expectations in person on pretty regular basis.

Not only does my not having money mean I can’t self-fund or go full-time, but it also means my family and my social networks are that much less successful when I hit them up for fundraising; they might be able to give me like a hundred dollars at most, whereas a lot of other candidates’ family and friends can give them a thousand bucks or even like five thousand bucks at a time.

Looking at how everything has come together, an extra twelve thousand dollars in the fall would be the difference between a plausible campaign and certain victory, since that money would have let me hire a full-time campaign worker, and that would be enough for me to win, I think.

Though, we’ll see how I do anyways.

It really does make you think, though; twelve thousand a year was around what kept me from being a standard successful student in the higher ed track where I could hit my goalposts on time and go on the tenure-track job market, and now that same twelve thousand is what’s keeping my campaign from a standard staffing measure that's expected even at this low level of the game.

It’s funny, too, different people I know from unionization stuff are doing campaign work now, and they’re very blithe and like, “The going rate for a campaign manager now is three thousand a month.”

What bothers me when they say that is there’s no recognition of how those wages come from cleaving to the rich in a broken system.  They should be saying that same thing, with a different awareness.  It’s really crazy to me how people just accept how wealth is affecting who can do stuff or not nowadays.

I mean, three thousand a month is more than I make personally, that's just kind of wacky to face these expectations from others, even those who seem like you.

No comments: