Saturday, February 9, 2019

Chinese New Year’s greeting pushback.

I’ve been really digging giving out Chinese New Year’s greetings and have been giving out my special campaign greetings pretty indiscriminately, including to random people and friends and coworkers.

When I went to go give one to my one (Tibetan) coworker with a good sense of humor, though, she was not pleased, and to be honest I was wondering how a Tibetan would react, given their history with China.

When I did that, she gently reminded me about their history, but then I told her that a lot of the (Chinese) people who live in my community dislike the same government and a lot fled here or are from Taiwan or whatnot, and Chinese language and culture isn’t the same as the present-day government of China.

She listened but seemed unconvinced.

I was a bit surprised at her reaction; I thought she would have been a little more open-minded.

No comments: