Sunday, January 6, 2019

Resthome antics: A schtick at work.

The other week I was talking baby Spanish with the one (Mexican) kitchen worker who brings us the soup for the staff meal at the resthome, and the (first generation) (Nigerian-American) kitchen supervisor who seems just regular (African-American) joined in speaking Spanish with us for a bit, too.

I was quite floored, since I didn't know that she knew any Spanish.

After she left, I was talking more baby Spanish with the (Mexican) kitchen worker, and I joked that now we'll always have to say nice things when she's around, like how "[our supervisor's first name] es la mejor patron en todo el mundo" (i.e., "[our supervisor's name] is the best boss in all the world").

She picked up on that joke and said some similar comment too, in a voice that was a bit too loud, like if we wanted our boss to hear, but we didn't want our boss to know that we meant her to hear everything.

The next time our boss was around, then, I started up the joke again, asking in Spanish if our boss was listening, and then theatrically saying in Spanish in an overloud voice how great our boss is.

At that, my one (Mexican) kitchen worker smiled and laughed.

Ah, nice coworkers. Love them!

No comments: