Thursday, December 13, 2018

An odd person on the subway.

The other week when I was going in to work in the early afternoon, I was sitting at the north end of the one subway car, and there were a few (mid-30s) (black) males sitting around my end of the car, and they look pretty normal, but then one of them says something that's really loud, and it's obvious that there's something wrong with him, even though he looks clean and is decently dressed and everything, because his voice is too loud and what he's saying is disconnected from what's going on, or something like that.

Anyhow, later on, this one (white) guy gets on with a baby carriage and goes to my end of the car, and one (black) guy gets up and moves to the middle of the seat to make some room for him so that the guy can sit closer to his daughter in the baby carriage, and then they're on the car for a while, and then when he moves to get off the train with his daughter and wheels the carriage towards the doors again, that one weird (black) guy suddenly notices that he's carrying a small paper takeout bag from a restaurant and is like really loudly, "Is that food? Can I have that?", and the (white) guy is flummoxed but ends up being like, "Yes," and then he gives it to him right before he leaves.

Later, too, a (younger) (white) yuppie couple is on the train and they have a takeout box from a bakery, and the guy at some point sees that and is like, "Is that food? Can I have that?", and the (white) guy from the yuppie couple demurs because he said that he bought it as a thank-you present for a friend who's apartment he was staying in, but then like ten minutes later he pulls out a gigantic cookie with yellow frosting and calls out to the guy and gives it to him anyways, and is like, "Three cookies should be enough for her anyhow."

Even later, after the yuppie couple left, that same weird (black) guy starts talking about his takeout bag and randomly announces to someone else across the aisle from him (a friend?), "I'm not eating this now, I'm keeping it as a surprise for later on, I'll open it up and see what's in it."

. . .

He made me nervous.

Also, I think the first (white) guy, the one with the baby carriage, may have been French.  He had a bit of an accent, I think, when he talked.

No comments: