Friday, October 26, 2018

A word confused by one of my (Tibetan) coworkers.

The other day when I was starting up my shift at the resthome, I was asking for updates on different people who I'd be working with that day, and a couple aides told me that this one (very old) man had gotten regular milk at breakfast instead of the soy milk that he's supposed to get, and that he's lactose intolerant.

"All day he have motion," one of my (female) (Tibetan) coworkers was then like.

I didn't quite get what she meant, so I asked her to repeat herself, and she said something roughly the same and I didn't quite get what she meant again and so I asked her to repeat herself again, and this happened a few more times before finally this one (filipino) coworker of ours broke in and started saying something about his bowel "movements," and I realized then that my one (female) (Tibetan) coworker must have mixed up the words "movement" and "motion" in the phrase "bowel movement," maybe because of English as a non-native language proficiency stuff from her growing up in India.

No comments: