Tuesday, July 31, 2018

An interaction on the subway the other day: Mystery food.

The other week I was on the subway, and this (early 30s) (vaguely Slavic) (white) woman in moddish black tights came on and sat down opposite me in the filling-up car, and right away she pulled out a tupperware of this thin purplish goop with chunks in it and held it up near her face and spooned some now and then into her mouth, as she stared off into space into the middle of the car.

After a while, the curiosity overwhelmed me.

"Excuse me ma'am," I was like, "Is that borscht?"

At that, she clicked into reality and seemed amused.

"No," she was like, "It's a smoothie, I just have it in a bowl....  Borscht, that's great."

And, she seemed genuinely amused.

Also, when she spoke, her accent was just normal, she wasn't some Slavic immigrant at all like a chic Russian or Bulgarian or something like that, though maybe her family was and that's why she looked that way, above and beyond her moddish black outfit?

No comments: