Friday, June 8, 2018

Resthome quirk (1 of 2): An old hobby.

So, it turns out that this one 100-year old guy with dementia likes to play gin rummy with people, and he even beat the head nurse the other day when she had a little spare time and popped in to see him and ended up playing some cards with him.

That same day when I was going to assist him with his evening routine, he pulled out a pack of cards and wanted me to play a round with him before bed, so I did.

I beat him, but it was close, and you could totally tell he was waiting for certain cards.

After I won, he even flipped ahead in the deck to see where the cards were that he was waiting for.

It's so funny how variable the skills of people with dementia can be.  He must have played gin rummy all his life, so he can still do that now!

We were only playing with six cards per hand, though, and I thought it was seven cards, so next time I'll have to check the rules before we play again.

No comments: