Tuesday, April 17, 2018

A nighttime subway ride.

The other week, I was visiting with my one lawyer friend from Missouri and her dad, and we talked till after 1am in the morning, and then because of subway delays, I didn't get on it till 2am to go home.

There were a handful of (young) (black) guys on the car, including one tall guy with dreads under a neat black cap and with jeans and a neat black jacket of some sort.

The next stop, two (young) (white) women get on, one very drunk.

Then, next stop, a (younger) (black) mom gets on, with like 3 or 4 kids from like age 4 to 12, and they sit opposite me.

A few stops later, at some point after the two (young) (white) women get off, the train stops again, for a while.

Then, it gets going, and not long after, that one tall (young) (black) guy who had been on the train, and is now kind of slouched down in his seat, starts singing to himself very loudly, "I LOVE THE LORD/ AND THE LORD SURE LOVES ME/ I LOVE THE LORD/ AND THE LORD SURE LOVES ME...", just on and on and on.

Previously, he didn't seem to be on something, but now no-one pretends to look at him, or notice.

He sings like that for around 5-6 stops, and then his singing just fades away and stops for no discernible reason, and he just slouches there.

A few stops later, I get off the train and go home, and go reheat some leftover Chinese food I had in the fridge from eating out the night before.

Soon, I go to sleep.

No comments: