Saturday, February 3, 2018

A sign of how much I was walking on eggshells, in academia.

Every time I see that I get a call from my elder care company, something in my chest leaps up, and I think that I must be losing my job for some reason.

The first time was a day or 2 after a really difficult shift with a client who got confused and then paranoid, and I was afraid that somehow I wasn't a good match, and I was going to lose my job.

Instead, they were calling to check on me, to see if there was anything I needed to process and talk about, since they had heard that I had had a tough shift.

Isn't that awesome of them?  Exactly like an employer should behave!

The second time was after nothing in particular happened except me working a lot of fill-in shifts, but again I was afraid that I was going to lose my job.

Instead, they were calling to see if I could work one new evening shift for the next month or 2, or perhaps longer, with the same client who I had been working with during the fill-in shifts.

I really was walking on eggshells in academia, and exposed to so much arbitrary behavior.

What nonsense.

No comments: