Wednesday, February 7, 2018

A night at the student bar (1 of 2): A Cypriot's ruse.

The other week, I popped into the student bar for a nightcap after meeting a friend for dinner, and there I bumped into a (very nice) (Puerto Rican) who I know, and I ended up saying hi to him and some of his friends, one of who was a 1st year doctoral student from Cyprus.

Somehow, she got on the story about how during her undergrad, she was a social chair and the school wouldn't pay for alcohol for student clubs, so she just would go and buy alcohol anyway and the food that she needed, and then she'd go and run up personal grocery receipts for a roughly equivalent amount of money, and then she'd go and turn *those* receipts in, so that everything would work out and people could get their free alcohol.

"You have to figure out how to work the system," she was like.  "Otherwise, the system works you."

Then, after a pause, she was like, "I'm Greek, you know."

No comments: