Saturday, December 16, 2017

The Way Memory Works is Weird.

The other week on my one Sunday night radio program, I was listening and doing some word puzzles, and like I so often do, I found myself stopped and just listening to the music, which turned out to be a really good recording of Sibelius's 2nd symphony, as the announcer said when it was all over.

(I had arrived late, and I had turned on the music a bit into it, probably a few minutes after the initial announcement of what the piece was.)

That immediately got me thinking of how much I really liked Sibelius's 5th Symphony when I heard it for the first time earlier that year, but no matter how hard I tried, I couldn't call to mind how the really moving part went.

Then, like just over a week later, I woke up in the morning, and right away as I was waking up, that part of the music was running through my head, unbidden.

A bit later after I had woken up some, then, I tried to remember it again, but I couldn't, but then later in the day I could.

No comments: