Friday, December 8, 2017

Bob Seger and white nationalism.

It was super funky going to a Bob Seger concert.

Because I bought my ticket later than my friend, we sat in different sections, so before the concert started, I kept myself occupied by trying to spot someone in the stadium who didn't look white.

I couldn't find anyone like that, though I kept through faces in the crowd for like 5-8 minutes.

The whole thing was really trippy, and it seemed to dovetail into white nationalism.

Before the concert, I was noticing how a lot of the t-shirts at the merchandise booth had bald eagles and flags on them.

Also, the lyrics!

"Old Time Rock and Roll" is anti-disco (read: anti-queer and anti-brown and black) ("Don't try to take me to a disco"), and the whole conception of rock and roll seems whitewashed and disconnected from much of its roots (e.g. that Ike Turner song that supposedly was the first rock-and-roll song ever).

Also, it seems very "I'm this way and I know everything," like an in-your-face know-it-all Texan (it's almost like, "Just go and dare to try and take me to a disco").

After the concert, too, I was reading through the lyrics of "Like a Rock," and the whole thing was quasi-fascistic, with its idolization of young muscular bodies and a nostalgic commonsense morality where you just instinctually knew what's right, not to mention its romanticizing "working for peanuts" (which feeds into blaming immigrants for low wages, rather than the bossman?).

Very, very odd.

It seems that the seeds of white nationalism have been latent in our culture for a long time, just sitting there, gestating.

I really need to get to know Bruce Springsteen's work more, and see how he treats similar shit from white culture.

No comments: