Thursday, November 16, 2017

Mutual woo-ing?

So, I'm thinking of unionizing my one tutoring job at a non-profit, since it really is like "Uber for adjuncts," though I do like the students.

Already I made sure to get names and emails, and I've created a list for the entire bargaining unit.

I also went out for coffee with one guy the other day (a European immigrant who worked for a franchise, and actually left the franchise since he didn't like how U.S. labor law protects employers and his company made him cut hours and increase precarity to the point where employees were crying on him, "there has to be a balance, and here it's too far one way," he was like).

I also hit up another tutor the other day, when I bumped into him in the college library, and I mentioned getting together for coffee, and he also said that he liked the job, but "there's not enough hours," at which point I grimaced in sympathy.

When I went to email him from the list, then, I googled him to try to kick up a photo to see if I was writing the right person, and what do I find out, but that he's a long-time labor activist and actually did stuff like being a steward and bargainer and shit.

That got me wondering, was his side comment about lack of hours actually him trying to feel me out for a unionization drive?

We might have been wooing each other!

LOL.

No comments: