Friday, August 25, 2017

Anecdotes of a (black) union organizer (1 of 2): White Castle.

The other week at a going-away party, I was talking with a (black) union organizer who was a friend of the person going away.

He was telling me how he lives in a nice suburb just out of city limits, but there's starting to be pockets of drug-dealing more and more there, and you can start to see parts of the suburb changing for the worse.

He was saying that the other week after work, he was hungry and it was late, and though it wasn't the best idea, he decided to stop through White Castle, and there was a (black) guy in there who came up to him and was trying to sell him weed and stuff.

"And just because I'm black, he thinks I use drugs," he was like.

"Maybe," I was like.  "Or," I was like, "Maybe it's the fact that you were at White Castle late at night."

At that, he laughed, and was like, "Yep, munchies."

He then clarified that there were other customers there and all of them were (white), and the (black) dealer didn't try approaching them.

No comments: