Friday, February 17, 2017

Presentation vocabulary.

Teaching at the art school ruined me, and since them I've tended to talk like I normally do in a classroom, including profanity.

The other day when I was teaching freshman writing, I was summarizing a student thesis and was like, "Okay, the main idea here is that bias fucked everything up," and then a minute later I was like, "...but that idea is actually ancillary."

At that, I instantly heard myself, and so I turned to the students and put on a persona as if I was them and I was like, "[my full name], why do you use a word like 'fuck' one minute and then 'ancillary' the next?", and then I replied to myself in a different mugging persona, "Because that's just how I am, that's why," then I laughed at myself, because I thought I was funny.

I wonder what they think of that stuff.  I know at least some students love it.

No comments: