Tuesday, November 8, 2016

Odd CO2 alarm.

The other week I was cooking a ton at my new apartment, and all of a sudden my smoke alarm starts going off.


I turn off the stove - oddly, nothing's burning - and then go into the bedroom.

As I look, it turns out that it's not signalling an alarm for smoke, but rather C02, so I immediately open the windows, and since the alarm was high up on the ceiling, I roll up a thick health insurance pamphlet that had just come in the mail, and I stand on my bed and push in the "TEST/SILENCE" button, but instead of going to test and resetting, the alarm just goes silent, and you can see the CO2 light continue to flash.


So, I go get a folding chair, carefully place it on my bed, and get up and unscrew the alarm.

Then, I take it down and take the battery out and put it back in to reset it, and then I hit the "TEST/SILENCE" button again, but now instead of going to silence, it actually runs through the test like the instructions on the back says it will.

Then, it never signals the presence of C02 again.

I wonder what's up with that...  I'm thinking the heat and moisture from the cooking may have caused a brief malfunction.

No comments: