Thursday, September 29, 2016

A compliment to millennials.

Millennials are really, really awesome at identifying agendas present in communications.

I had heard Larry Lessig say this years ago, and he attributed it to growing up in the internet age without a dependably objective mainstream press.

I recently saw an instance of this at my school, and their astuteness was impressive.

On the other hand, I remember once this summer or the last talking with my parents about climate change, and they had a hard time grasping how a politically-aligned thinktank could sow misinformation in a pretty major national newspaper.

"But the study said...", they kept saying.

No source critical perspective at all.

And, it was a climate change doubter talking point meant to slow a transition away from carbon by inflating difficulties, and it reeled my dad in even though he has 2 science degrees and believes in climate change and decarbonization!

That conversation was quite shocking, because it made me realize how out-of-it older generations can be.

No comments: