Monday, August 8, 2016

Saw an undergrad activist student.

The other Sunday I bumped into a student who I had in my writing class a few years ago, and who really got into undergraduate activism, and who is always doing a sit-in somewhere or a protest at a major city landmark, including shutting places of business down for economic protests.

“Hey, how are you doing?”, I was like.  “Chain yourself to anything lately?”.

Since she understands my sense of humor, she just laughed.

“It’s okay if you haven’t, summers are a time to take it easy,” I was like.

Then, I had a thought and was like, “You know, next time you go chain yourself to some stuff, before you go and do that, you should liaise with the undergraduate sadomasochism club, I bet they’d love to join you.”

(There actually is an undergraduate sadomasochism club, and my one activist student is always coalition-building.)

Later, I thought that if you actually went and tried to do that, you could always tell the kids that you wouldn’t only chain them, but you could gag them, too, if they wanted.

You could also tell them that risking getting kicked out of school was being “naughty”, and you could say the word “naughty” a lot, to make them blush and get nervous at just the thought of it.


I find the whole idea very satisfying, of calling up the sadomasochists to be frontline hardcore activists who chain themselves to shit.

No comments: