Thursday, August 25, 2016

Korean potatoes.

The other week I went to the beach and then (Korean) food with my one (half Sudanese) (half British) friend (the sister of the brother-and-sister pair I'm friends with).

She loves Korean food and especially this one restaurant near where she used to live, and she especially loves this chilled potato appetizer that they bring out to you in a little plate with kimchi and whatnot.

So, since she loves to cook, especially pickles and salads, she asked the owner how to make the chilled potatoes.

"That is only here," he said, and explained that the recipe is from his mother and grandmother, and his wife learned how to make it; the same dish exists elsewhere, he said, but it's much sweeter, and this is the old style, which is what you can't get anywhere else.

He then said you just boil peeled potato cubes in water and soysauce, with a little garlic and crushed red pepper and sugar, then chill.

I've already gotten some potatoes and am trying this.

My first batch was okay, but baby redskins tasted too "potato"-ey, though that might also be because I made the cubes too large.

I also bought a few white potatoes and a baking potato, and plan to experiment using those.

No comments: