Monday, August 22, 2016

Hammock wasn't foolproof against bedbugs.

So, my hammock gave me two weeks free of bedbugs, but it wasn't foolproof, and like two days in a row I woke up with like 10-12 bites and droppings in there, and then the day after just one bite again...

My hunch is that the bugs crawl up on the ceiling and drop down - something that government websites confirm they do - because I was very careful to shower and put obstructions like baby powder and Vaseline around the ropes, and there's no way they could have gotten onto me that way.

So, everyday after I woke up with bites, I took down my hammock, boiled it, and then airdried it in the backyard.

Also, after two days of that, I decided to apply diatomaceous earth on the ceiling, and I maskingtaped a paintbrush to a broom handle and applied some all around the room where the wall met the ceiling, and also all around the light fixture in the middle, and also in swathes around where my hammock extends across the room.

My hunch is that the powder will cause some bugs to lose traction and so they won't be able to climb onto the ceiling and drop onto me, and even if they do, they'll have to pass through the diatomaceous earth, which is a death sentence after like 7-10 days.

After I did this, the next day I only got the one bite, and then none the day after.

Did the powder keep the bugs off the ceiling?  Is my hammock safe again?

No comments: