Thursday, July 14, 2016

Rent increase at my apartment.

So, I finally got that rent increase at my apartment that I had been fearing, since the city had majorly raised taxes.

It’s $25 a month!

Phew.  

I have such a nice landlord.

He’s kept rents flat for people since he wants long-term tenants and no headaches, and I think he was honestly a bit scared of telling people of the rent increase; he informed us all by slipping a letter under our doors one evening.

He’s this (Taiwanese-American) guy who grew up in the city and went to the local state schools, and he works doing admin at a junkyard and has commonsense populist leftist politics, since he’s seen how the big companies manipulate prices to stick it to the small company he works for.


He also talks and chats in a very pleasant, even, low tone of voice, and my one neighbor who’s originally from New Orleans calls him “squirrely”, not because he’s crazy, but because he somehow resembles a squirrel, which I agree with, though I can't exactly put my finger on why.  

It's his round cheeks, somehow, but it's also something more than that.

No comments: