Saturday, October 10, 2015

English friend anecdote (3 of 3): Songs.

Once when I was out with the (half British) (half Sudanese) sister of my one (half British) (half Sudanese) friend, since she's also my friend, Cher's song "Believe" came on, and she was like, "Oh, this song, this is the one my brother likes."

"Really?", I was like.

"Yeah," she was like, "And my mom too."

"How do you know that?", I was like.

"Oh," she was like, "Once we were all sitting around and it came on, and it turned out that they both liked it."

 . . .

I find that very ridiculous, that (British) people could like Cher's song "Believe", let alone a middle aged (British) mother.

There's something very ridiculous about (British) people.

I find myself often thinking that their country has no real center to it, and it's a mystery to me why it just doesn't fly apart from lack of any sort of weighty ethos.

No comments: