Saturday, August 29, 2015

BDSM friend's visit (3 of 3): "Tenure Rots Your Brain."

My one friend who's into BDSM really, really dislikes most tenured professors.

"Tenure rots your brain," he was like.

He was appalled by how my classes got cut at the art school, and also my observation that the academics who give me advice talk of how I have a long-term career (e.g. "when your book gets published...") or say things that assume as much, w/no recognition that b/c of my lack of financial stability, my finding an academic job and reaching those points are not a given...

He's said that he thinks tenure should be abolished b/c it makes too many people lazy and petty and get their heads up their asses, but I've never really pressed him on what system should replace it.

Interestingly, he's shooting for a tenure-track job after his current multiyear research gig ends, though it's at a state school "gateway" institution that doesn't seem to have as many full-of-themselves tenured professor problems.

No comments: