Friday, February 6, 2015

New prof I work for (2 of 2): Story from his youth.

Towards the end of the first class, the new prof I work for also brought up a small anecdote about how he used to be a translator at the airport, for people who spoke Creole.

He was talking about how there was this one guy with a tourist visa that customs was grilling, and the guy was trying to play rich, and he showed hundred dollar bills and said he came to spend money and tour.

"What sites?", they were like.

"The sites of Canada," he was like.  "The main ones."

Then they asked him for credit cards, and he said he didn't have any, he only spent cash.

They denied him entry, and sent him back to Haiti.

"I was required to translate," the professor was like, "So I look at him, and I cannot believe what he is saying, but I am required to say everything...  He had a college education and raised money from friends, but he did not how to pose, how to put borrowed money in a bank and take out credit cards and pose as a tourist.  I translated for many others, and they were in the same position as him, education and borrowed money, but they knew how to successfully pose and they entered the country, but he did not, because he did not have the knowledge.   I was so sad for him, but I was required to translate."

That anecdote floored me, the way the prof opened up like that at random, but I don't think any of the freshmen noticed.  They're too young.


No comments: