Monday, February 2, 2015

I think I'm too hard on myself.

I think I'm too hard on myself.

My (Asian-Canadian) friend has observed this, that I tend to talk about what I have to do in very black-and-white terms, where if something's not perfect or not done on my projected schedule, I say that everything's wrong.

For example, lately I've felt like I'm not getting enough writing done on academic politics, though when I stop and think about it, I only got my first major pieces published in early summer and then fall, and the new request I got to write for an up-and-coming intellectual journal online happened along just 8 months after that.

Overall, that's pretty good, to think that I've become a known and respected quantity on this topic in less than a year!

I also have noticed that other grad students can be pretty lolly-gaggy, where they procrastinate on major projects and just take things one thing at a time, w/little attention to the long-term.

Compared to that, I'm pretty ahead of the ballgame.

I honestly think if I compared my CV to other people's, it'd be way longer with a lot more shit in a lot more categories, and I'd come off as way more intense, perhaps even frighteningly so.

No comments: