Sunday, February 8, 2015

Kanye West and Paul McCartney.

That same night as the Pepsi Clear story, 2 younger staffers at the bar of a different restaurant were talking about the whole thing where some of Kanye West's fans didn't know who Paul McCartney was.

I spoke with them a bit about that, and was actually defending Kanye's fans, or at least saying why they weren't whack:

- younger people have very channeled media consumption, I've noticed from my university's undergrads, and they often have huge reference gaps b/c they only consume things through certain channels like Netflix recs or streaming recommendations;

- though *our* generation's parents listened to the Beatles, the parents of younger Kanye fans probably haven't, so maybe you'd want to check their references to 80s/90s music; and

- it might be a black thing, where those kids would know references to older African-American artists of that era (e.g. Stevie Wonder), esp. b/c it seems like all the rabid Beatles fans I've ever met have been white (e.g. I've known several white people w/Yellow Submarine film memorabilia, but I don't think I've ever seen the equivalent w/all the black people I've ever met, though you'll hear people gush about when Earth, Wind, and Fire came out, for example, which is right when the Beatles died).

No comments: