Saturday, January 3, 2015

Was he serious?!

The other night I said "Good night" to the janitor who was in the hallway at the gym as I walked past, and he responded back "Good night" in what sounded to me like Spanish-accented English.

So, I asked in Spanish if he spoke Spanish, and when he said yes, I told him in Spanish to have a good night, and he said I should have the same.

He then asked me if I was Spanish, because I looked like I was from Spain (!).

I talk with him more, and it turns out that he's Mexican from Jalisco.

Then, later, I kept wondering about him asking if I was Spanish.

Maybe it's my light coloration?  And maybe my introductory comments were so short that I didn't have time to make a grammatical mistake or make up a word, and he didn't have time to hear an accent?

Or maybe he did hear an accent but thought it was an intra-hispanic accent or something like that, or that maybe my parents were from Spain but I was born there?

A guy I know who was born and raised in a suburb of the city has parents from El Salvador and Mexico and grew up speaking Spanish at home, and he says hispanic people tell him all the time that he speaks "white boy Spanish" since it sounds like that.

So odd.

No comments: