Thursday, January 22, 2015

Reflections on Library Systems.

Here in the city, I really like the selection of books they have in the public library system, and they have *extremely* good branch distribution, where you pretty much come across a branch library everywhere if you’re out bopping around in different neighborhoods.

Their shipping system between libraries is *way* inefficient, however.

For example, I had requested a feminist sci-fi novel (“Grass”, by Sheri [sp.?] Teppers [sp.?]) back on Dec. 12th, and by the end of the month, it still hadn’t come in.

I checked with the staffer at my local branch library, and she checked the transaction and said that that was because the book was being held at a library on the other side of the city, and it had to go from there to the main branch and then the main branch to my local branch, and on top of that things were backed up.

“It probably won’t get to be a month, though,” she was like.

In comparison, in my state where I was born and grew up, they started up a statewide library affiliation program supported by five vans; all holdings from participating libraries are accessible through one catalog, and you can request a title from there and pretty much always get delivery within a week – and that’s from across the entire state!

First off, I think it’s wonderful, how much more libraries in my homestate are hooked in than when I was growing up; I did interlibrary loan a lot as a kid, and I always felt kind of bad that I was wasting the library’s money.


Second off, I think it’s kind of fun to just wait many weeks for a book to come in at my current library in the city; it’s fun to have a non-neurotic part of my life that I just let happen as it happens.

No comments: