Wednesday, September 24, 2014

My Spanish pleases people ('el pueblo gusta mi espanol'): Restaurant ('restorante').

The other week on a Monday I was at a Mexican restaurant in my neighborhood after barhopping a bit after teaching up at the art school, and the waitress in there was someone I didn’t know.
As soon as she accidentally slipped in a Spanish phrase when she was taking my order, I switched to Spanish, and she seemed like she was just tolerating me, but let me order anyhow.
“Anything to drink?”, she was like.
Agua sola” (‘only water’), I was like, “Sin popote” (‘without a straw’), and, as soon as I said that last phrase, she broke out into a quick involuntary smile.
Then, she went to rush around and help other customers.
Five minutes later, she dropped off my water.

“There you go,” she was like.  “Sin popote.”

No comments: