Saturday, September 13, 2014

Kids (2 of 2): Things they do.

The 14 month old daughter of my one friend who runs an integrated homelessness / domestic violence shelter was at my parents’ house with her mom; they had come to pick me up and take me downstate, and arrived just before a severe weather warning was put out, and so they stayed 45 minutes at the house till the storms and gusty winds and possible tornados had passed.
At one point, the little girl was sitting on the steps to upstairs, and patted to her right side for her mom my friend to sit down, only there was like 4 inches of room.
“[The girl’s first name] darling,  I’d like to sit down, but there’s no room,” her mom my friend said.
At that, the little girl looked up at her mom, and began slowly scooting over on the staircase, and went all the width of the stair over, and she was so small, she even scooted out in front of the bottom bannister, and sat at the corner of it at the edge of the step.
“Thank you honey!”, her mom my friend was like, “But my ass isn’t *that* big!”

In any case, I was surprised that a 14-month old understood her request or gestures or whatever enough to do that!

No comments: