Wednesday, April 9, 2014

All Things French: A Trend.



For some reason I’ve had a lot of contact with French culture the past few months: I saw a few films by French director Jacques Demy (“The Umbrellas of Cherbourg”, “A Room in the City”), and I’ve begun reading a novel by Balzac for the writing class I’m teaching.

On top of that, I’ve been reading a hagiography of St. Francis of Paola, and it turns out that he’s the patron saint of the town that my one (French) colleague comes from. 

I texted him and asked him if he was from that town and if so did he know St. Francis of Paola, and he texted back –

Of course I am and of course I do!

- which, by the way, sounds like he was translating “bien sur” as “of course” when it’s probably better as “darn right”.

Although I rarely run into him, I saw him like the very next day at the library, and I talked to him some more about the saint and what’s known of him in his town.

He said that everyone knows that he saved the town from some plague, and that once a year there’s a big “gravade” (=saint’s procession?) where they walk with a statue of him around town.

He said it’s mostly hyper-Catholic families who do that, so although he learned about the saint in school and knew people he went, he himself never participated in the procession, even just going to watch it.

No comments: